5 Orlando Divorce Statistics You Never Knew
Do you know your city’s divorce statistics? The chart below may surprise you
Orlando is known as one of the happiest cities in the United States thanks to the family-oriented entertainment such as Walt Disney World and Universal Studios. However, did you know, as of 2013, Orlando has a divorce rate of over 13 percent? That is over three percent higher than the United States average of 10 percent.
How does Orlando stack up against the rest of the state?
In 2010, The Daily Beast ranked the top 50 cities with the highest divorce rates. Out of those 50 cities, 12 of those were in Florida (24 percent). Four of these Florida cities were ranked in the top 10!
Top Florida Cities Divorce Rate (Percent of population who is divorced)
City 2010 2013 2013 Pop. Divorced Pop.
1. Panama City 15.5% 16.5% 36,877 6,084
6. Deltona 13.5% 14.0% 86,290 12,080
8. Palm Bay 13.3% 13.9% 104,898 14,580
9. Jacksonville 13.0% 13.2% 842,584 111,221
17. Port St. Lucie 12.2% 12.4%. 171,016 21,205
26. Miami 12.5% 13.1% 417,650 54,712
27. Bradenton 12.9% 15.5% 51,76. 38,023
29. Orlando 11.9% 13.4% 255,483 34,234
32. Homosassa S. 12.5% 14.8% 13,790 12,041
35. Tampa 13.5% 12.0% 352,957 42,354
42. Cape Coral. 11.6% 12.4% 165,831 20,563
49. Ocala 11.5% 15.9% 57,468 9,137
*Cities in bold are in the Orlando Metropolitan Area*
From 2010 to 2013, the divorce rates in most of the Floridian cities on The Daily Beast’s list increased, with the lone exception being Tampa.
How does Orlando stack up against the rest of the United States?
- 13.04% of people in Orlando are divorced, 2.29% above the United States average
- 22.93% of people in Orlando are married with children, 9.6% below the national average
- 35.05% of people in Orlando are married with no children, 6.09% below the national average
- 27.50% of people in Orlando are single with children, 10.62% above the national average
What can you take away from these statistics? People in Orlando have a high divorce rate, which means that there are more single people with children. There is a direct correlation between the aforementioned stats and the fact that married people with children is nearly 10% below the national average.
Even though Orlando is nicknamed, “The City of Beautiful” when it comes to its divorce rate, it is somewhat messy.
Sean Smallwood, attorney of Sean Smallwood, P.A., a firm that specializes in divorce and family law, contributed content to this article.
Sean Smallwood is an Orlando divorce attorney for the law firm Sean Smallwood, Orlando Divorce & Family Law P.A. where he represents clients in all areas of family law and divorce. 100% of the practice is devoted to family law. As an attorney in Orlando, he has helped many families with a wide variety of family law cases including Divorce, Child Custody, Child Support, and many other issues.