Close Menu
Orlando Family Lawyer
Schedule a Confidential Consultation Today! Big Family Issues? Call Smallwood 407-574-6155

Out of State DOR Child Support Cases

When Orlando child support attorneys have cases that involve out of state child support in front of the DOR Sometimes the solution is simpler than you would think.

The Florida Department of Revenue, or the DOR, is an arm of Florida government that initiates child support actions on behalf of parents needing child support.This administrative child support process is outlined n the Florida statute. Much of the time this comes about when one parent applies for food stamps or state funded health insurance. Part of the application process asks if there is a child and if both parents live together. If the answer is yes there is a child and no the parents are not living together then the DOR will either open a child support case against the non-residential parent or attempt to assume control over any previously entered child support order in an attempt to decrease the need for costly state benefits.

What if the parents live in two different states? What do child support lawyers do then?

Each state in the U.S. has it’s own DOR or similar arm of government under a different name. In situations where one parent lives in Florida with a child and needs child support from the other parent who lives in Georgia then Florida would transfer the case to the Georgia DOR to enforce the administrative child support order. Since Georgia has personal jurisdiction over the parent who is a resident of that state, then they are able to enforce the Florida order by way of: contempt orders, revocation of driving privileges, or jail time. Some states such as Ohio have laws that make it a felony offense to not pay one’s child support wherein child support cases can also require a criminal defense attorney

Sean Smallwood, ESQ. is an Orlando family law attorney representing clients in all areas of Florida family law including child support cases involving the Department of Revenue.

For more information please visit:

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn